Who doesn’t love a great Taquito? Even better – a vegan and gluten-free taquito! I know I do. Crispy, little rolled tacos stuffed with shredded chick’n, mushrooms, cheeze and then topped with guacamole, sour cream and pico de gallo. Pure Heaven!
Easy to make and great for a party or a quick, family dinner. Serve with a side of beans and rice and you have one heck of a meal! They also freeze well, so you can double the batch and freeze half for later. Just pop them in the oven to reheat.
FOR THE TAQUITOS:
- 4 Gardein chick’n scallopini
- 4 oz white mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (omit if you don’t want it spicy)
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheddar such as, Follow Your Heart shreds or Daiya brand.
- 18-20 soft corn tortillas
FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- Pico de Gallo
- Sour cream (vegan, of course). I like Follow Your Heart brand.
- Shredded romaine
- Hot Sauce. I love, love, love Cholula.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp of vegetable broth. Add the Gardein chick’n and cook about 4 minutes per side. Add another 1 tbsp of the vegetable broth to prevent chick’n from sticking and to keep it moist. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- In the same pan, add 1 Tbsp of vegetable broth and the chopped mushrooms and cook until soft and slightly, golden brown. About 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Grab a chopping board and cut the cooled chick’n into small pieces. The finer chop, the better. Makes it easier to roll in to corn tortillas.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chopped chick’n with the cooked mushrooms, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne (if using) and lime juice. Stir until chick’n and mushrooms are coated evenly with the spices. Now, mix in the shredded cheeze.
- Dampen two paper towels with water and place four tortillas at a time in between the paper towels. Place in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Remove from the microwave. Be careful, they will be steaming.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of the taquito mixture and spread it evenly across the center of the tortilla and roll it up fairly tightly. Once rolled, place the taquito seam side down onto the baking sheet. Repeat process until you have used up all of the taquito mixture. This should make roughly 20 taquitos.
- Brush or spray the taquitos with some vegetable oil. Place them in a preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until taquitos are just a touch brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and serve with the toppings above. Enjoy!